Phase 3 of Re-opening Schools
June 1, 2020
As we begin phase 3 of the ALSDE plan for re-opening schools, these guidelines are put in place to address bringing coaches and athletes back to campus for summer activities. Although June 1st has been established as the earliest return date, we at Piedmont City Schools plan to proceed with our original plan of starting our summer workouts on Monday, June 15th. Workouts will be on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays in June and on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays in July. The last workout day will be Wednesday, July 22nd. We will operate the first 3 weeks with just upcoming varsity athletes (grades 9- 12) with girls coming in at 9 am and boys coming in at 5 pm. Our plan is then to bring in the upcoming 7th and 8th graders beginning July 6th for the last 3 weeks of workouts. The Junior High girls will come at 8 am and the Junior High boys will come at 4 pm. Workouts will last somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes. There are 4 keys areas to address in our plan:
1. Group Sizes and Physical Standards
- Social distancing strategies will be implemented to maintain a 6-foot distance between persons from
different households. All students will enter the athletic complex through the main ticket gate at the stadium. No one should arrive more than 15 minutes before the appointed workout time. This same area will be used for the pickup of athletes. No one other than coaches, school officials and athletes will be allowed to enter the stadium during workouts.
2. Symptom Monitoring
- Sick students and staff members should stay at home
- Touchless thermometers will be used to check temperatures upon entering the stadium for all persons
involved with workouts.
- Anyone becoming sick during a workout will be isolated and the affected areas will be cleaned and disinfected immediately. Special considerations will be given to anyone who is more vulnerable due to health conditions whenever the coach is notified of such conditions.
3. Cleaning and Personal Hygiene
- Everyone should practice healthy hygiene such as frequent hand washing, properly covering a cough
or a sneeze and avoiding the use of shared water fountains and bottles. Each person should bring his or her own means of hydration to the workouts.
- Multiple hand sanitizing stations will be set up in workout areas
- Face coverings are recommended for any situation that would put persons within 6 feet of each other. - Weight stations and equipment as well as doorknobs and handles will be cleaned when a group finishes a station and before the next group starts at that station.
4. Additional Operational Considerations
- Food distribution, when applicable, will be on a grab and go basis with those distributing the food
- Teams wishing to conduct additional activities with their groups must have a plan approved by the AD
to address their practices.